The Top Steak House Story
The Top Steak House, a 1950s supper club-style fine dining restaurant, opened its doors in April of 1955. The Top was originally owned and operated by Lee Henry and Bill Sapp, well-known Columbus restaurateurs who also owned the legendary Polynesian palace The Kahiki as well as beloved hot spot The Wine Cellar.
Thanks to nightly live piano music, excellent cuisine and above-and-beyond service, The Top quickly earned a reputation as “the place to be”—especially as a local hangout for politicians. In fact, to accommodate the growing clientele, owners installed phone jacks at every table so politicians could make and receive important business calls.
The Top is still locally owned and operated. During 67 years of business, the steakhouse has been through only three ownerships. The current incarnation is run by family co-owners Joyce and Craig Hoover and Emily and Matt Schoedinger. The Bexley family purchased The Top in 2006.